Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Copycat Panera Bread Summer Corn Chowder! So Yummy! :)

I was SO EXCITED for Dinner on a Dime tonight!
Ever since Panera Bread opened I have been ADDICTED to their Summer Corn Chowder.
So I went in search of the recipe and hit the jackpot!
It was like Christmas morning for me when I found not 1 but 2 recipes for Summer Corn Chowder!
There were some differences in the 2 recipes so I pulled from each recipe what I wanted.

You can find the recipes I used from HERE and HERE!

One thing I have learned from using online recipes is ALWAYS READ REVIEWS! Those who have used the recipe before you know best the tweaks that need to be made! And I'm glad I read them.

Many people complained about the chowder being bland, and it is if you follow the recipe, but that's why you have a spice rack, right?!?!? RIGHT!
After throwing in some spices and extra fresh herbs the chowder was perfect!

Ingredients I Used:
2 Tbs butter
2 Tbs olive oil
2 Potatoes (cut in small squares
2 Bell Peppers (I used one red and one orange)
1 Large Onion
1 Celery Stalk
3 Tbs Flour
5 Cups Vegetable Stock (calls for chicken stock)
4 cups corn (I used frozen)
1 Cup Heavy Cream
1/2 Cup Fresh Basil
Fresh Parsley
Fresh Cilantro
Pinch of Cayenne Pepper (or 2, depending on how spicy you like it)
Salt & Pepper
Pinch Poultry Seasoning
Pinch Celery Salt
Pinch Oregano
(the only seasoning the recipe calls for is salt and pepper, so just use whatever you like)


1. Place the oil and butter in a pot over low heat. Add the diced onion and celery and wilt for about 10 minutes. Sprinkle the flour over the onion; cook, stirring, for an additional 3 to 5 minutes.

2. Add the broth and potatoes; bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium and cook, partially covered, for 10 minutes or until the potatoes are tender, stirring occasionally.

3. Add the corn, red and green bell peppers, salt, pepper, and half-and-half; cook over low heat for 8 minutes, stirring occasionally. (I added the fresh herbs after 4 minutes then seasoned to taste.)

Tally my Cost:
All I had to purchase for this meal were the 2 potatoes, Heavy Cream, and corn!
I had all the other ingredients already! (Yay for keeping a stocked pantry thanks to couponing)
So my total cost was only $6!!
And it made a TON of soup!

Let me know if you try it!
We will definitely be making this again! :)

3 comments:

  1. Made some, added garlic powder, left out the fresh parsley (accidentally bought two bunches of cilantro :-), also left out celery salt, poultry seasoning, and oregano. Used local sweet corn on the cob. It needed a little more salt/flavor so I added a knorr "homestyle" concentrated vegetable stock gel tub. Its REALLY good and I'm guessing it will taste even better tomorrow.

    If you are interested in a ridiculously good chicken noodle soup recipe I can get it to you.

    Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just had this soup at Panera today and loved it so I went on Pinterest and came across our recipe. I followed it to a T and thought it was a little too pale and runny, so I puréed half the soup and that fixed everything, Thank you so much for sharing this, it made me super happy!

    ReplyDelete