Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Dinner on a Dime: "Rotisserie Style" Crock Pot Chicken!

I am super excited about what we had for dinner tonight!
It was extremely delicious and extremely easy! And of course, cheap!

So of you read my Winn Dixie trip post you know that I got a 5lb chicken for $5.
Well as I was pursuing Pinterest (don't we all LOVE Pinterest!?!?) and came across a recipe similar to this one, but decided to google it to see what else was out there and came across the most amazing blog ever!
This lady used a crock pot everyday for a whole year and blogged about it. So there are literally hundreds (365+) of good crock pot recipes for you to try!
I can't wait to try more of them.

But anyway....she had a recipe for the rotisserie style crock pot chicken that was pretty much the same as the one I found on Pinterest but added a few more seasonings.

So here is what I used:

5 lb chicken
2 tsp salt
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp Italian seasoning
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp black pepper
4 Tbsp minced garlic

I also stuffed the chicken with:
3-4 whole garlic cloves
1 onion, quartered


What I did:

Skin the chicken and get rid of the neck and other stuff from the insides

In a bowl, combine all of dried spices and garlic
Mix until paste-like.
Rub the spice mixture all over inside and out.
(my crockpot came with a nifty cooking rack that I set the chicken on so it wouldn't sit in the juices it made and wash off the seasoning on the breast. If you don't have a rack ball up some foil to place under the chicken to prop it up some. Or you can do what we will do next time and foil wrap some potatoes and put underneath the chicken and you will end up with a whole meal!)
Place breast-side down into the crockpot.
Cook on low for 8 hrs (or high for 3.5-4.5 hrs)

I also tied my chicken with twine because in the reviews for this recipe some people complained that all the chicken fell off the bone and they had to fish the meat out of the juices. I had no problem with that.
Now when I cut the twine the chicken did fall off the bone.
It really is a super tender and juicy chicken. And so flavorful!!!!

We took the juices and added Wondra to make a gravy to eat on top of the chicken!
We ate the chicken with some can corn we had in the pantry.

And talk about leftovers!!! We had SO MANY leftovers!
So I pulled all the chicken off the bone and put it in a Tupperware for Thursday night when I will make a chicken pot pie since I have ALL the ingredients for it.

My Cost:
Meal 1:
Chicken: $5.80
Corn: $.69

Meal 2:
Nothing!

So I will be able to make 2 delicious meals for a total of $6.49!

Jonathan is convinced that we have too much chicken for just a pot pie (which I'm beginning to think he is right, but shhhh don't tell him) so we may also be making chicken enchiladas from this meat as well! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment