Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Dinner on a Dime: Crock Pot "Pulled" Pork and Baked Potato!

So as I shared yesterday I am LOVING my crock pot! There are tins of different recipes that you can make in a crock pot.
Tonight we made BBQ "Pulled" Pork (in the crock) and Baked Potatoes!
It was soo good. And we have a TON of pork leftover!

check out the original recipe here!

And yes, this is another meal I got from Pinterest. I'm beginning to wonder how I fed us before I had Pinterest! :)

This meal really is so easy and so delicious. Jonathan and I are not the biggest fans of pork but love all things BBQ so when I saw this recipe and saw that Winn Doxoe had center cut pork chops on sale for BIGO FREE I decided to go ahead and try it. And I'm so glad I did!

Ingredients:
-2 packs center cut pork chops (original recipe calls for 6 but they were thick ones and the ones at Winn Dixie were really thin so I used about 12 (6 in each pack)
- 1/4 c water
- 1/4 c liquid smoke (I added this)
- 1 onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- bottle of BBQ sauce
- rolls

Slice onion (if using)
Mix water, liquid smoke, and HALF bottle of BBQ sauce together. Place chops in zip lock bag, add sliced onion and garlic then pour in marinade mixture.
Let marinade for at least 30 minutes (I did overnight).
Lay chops in crock pot (I had 2 layers) then pour marinade with garlic and onion over chops.
Cook on low for 7 hrs.
After its cooked use a mixer to shred the pork. Pork will need more sauce before it is ready to serve.
We added some onion and cheese to our sandwiches but that is totally optional.
We baked potatoes to eat with our sandwiches as well.

The meat was so tender that it shredded easily. If you look at the original recipe you will see that I made some slight changes (like marinating the meat and using liquid smoke) but either way, it's an easy recipe!

And all I needed to buy for this recipe was the pork, bread, and potatoes. I had everything else!

My cost:
Pork: $5.80
Rolls: $.14 each: $.28
Potatoes: $.25 each: $.75

Total: $6.83


And I have a can of baked beans I got for $2 to eat when we have the pork for leftovers on Thursday!
So that is 2 whole meals for only $9.11!
And we will still probably have pork leftover for lunches!

It really is easy to cut cost my meal planning, stocking up on food when it's on sale, and cooking based on what you ALREADY HAVE! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment