Sunday, August 19, 2012

Dinner on a Dime: Tortilla Soup.

Before I go into the details of tonight's dinner on a dime/soup of the week let me clarify something.
I have had some people tell me that they can't make these meals for this cheap for whatever reason.
These meals are cheap for me because I choose recipes that I have at least 50% of the ingredients already.
That's all part of meal planning AND couponing. Planning meals based on what's on sale (and you have coupons for) and what you already have in your pantry.
My pantry is pretty commonly stocked so you may find that like me, you have most of the ingredients that are needed for the meals that I post. But if not, I still try not to choose recipes with expensive ingredients. :)

Now, onto tonights dinner on a dime which also happens the soup of the week!

Tonight we made Tortilla soup with white and black beans instead of chicken!
It was so delicious, and of course CHEAP! :)

Ingredients:
1/4 cup oil
Jalapeño
Onion
2 carrots
6 celery stalks
1 can black beans
1 can white beans
1 can corn
1 can tomatoes
6 cloves garlic
Red pepper flakes
Cumin
Paprika
Lemon pepper
5 cups Veggie stock
Cilantro (optional)
Lime juice from 2 limes (optional)
1/2 cup flour
Shredded cheese

Heat oil and sauté chopped onion, celery, garlic, and carrots for 5 minutes.
Add paprika, red pepper flakes, cumin, lemon pepper, some salt, and flour.
Cook until flour is dissolved.
Add broth, cilantro, and juice of 1 lime.
Let simmer for 30 minutes to an hour.
Add cheese and juice from the last lime.
Serve with tortilla chips and enjoy!
We also added a dollop of sour cream to our bowls!

Cost tally:
Celery: $1.29
Jalapeño: $.14
Can tomatoes: $.62
Can black beans: $.90
Veggie stock: $1.98
2 Limes: $.40

Total: $5.33

Wow! And it made so much that we ate dinner tonight, I will have enough for 4 lunches and possibly leftovers again! All for $5.33! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment