Saturday, February 16, 2013

Cannellini Cilantro Hummus

With Jonathan and I eating a clean plant based diet I am always looking for good snacks! And boy did I find one!!!
(Clarification time: by diet, I mean the ACTUAL meaning of the word. Which is defined as: The sum of the food consumed by an organism or group)

Anyway... I was elated when I found THIS Hummus recipe! It combines 2 of our favorite things, hummus and cilantro! (No worries, if you are not a fan of cilantro it taste amazing without it, I promise!) and the best part is, it's a raw food!

If you try this recipe, I am sure you will never buy hummus at a restaurant again after you know how EASY, CHEAP & YUMMY it is to make it at home! So try it out!

Everyone knows that beans are a great source of protein, which is great! But not many people know the benefits of cilantro, so let me share something I thought was cool! Once cilantro is in your body it grabs onto any metals in your body and flushes them out! This is GREAT for a) people who consume a lot of fish, therefore have a lot of metals in their body and b) for people who have had a lot of dental work (me) and constantly get metals in your system. Pretty cool huh?

Now on to the actual recipe!
Jonathan and I have already gone through one batch of this! I just finished making a double batch that I am hoping will last through the weekend! It is just so yummy!!

Ingredients:

- 1 teaspoon finely minced garlic
- 1 can (15 ounces) cannellini beans, drained
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro (I added a little more)

-In a food processor (or blender), combine garlic and cannellini beans with lemon juice and process until smooth.
-Mix in oil, cumin, chili powder, salt and pepper and process until blended.
-Add 3 tablespoons cilantro and pulse until mixed.

This is wonderful to dip veggies or pita bread in, or makes for a wonderful sandwich spread!

Now for my cost.
All I had to purchase for this was the cilantro and beans so my total cost for 1 batch was......$1.50!!
And I had enough cilantro left to make the 2 batches I made today!

PS: mine looked quite different from the picture at the top of the page, but it is fantastic!

No comments:

Post a Comment