Monday, April 29, 2013

Hello Homemade: Frozen Strawberry-Chocolate Terrine

Pictured: frozen yogurt I used, the chocolate mixture, the strawberry mixture, the recipe I used from Eating Well Magazine, and the final product before putting it in the freezer to harden.

It's been a while since I have posted anything, but I figured since I had some free time I would share this incredible frozen dessert that is sure to be a summertime hit, and a regular dessert in the Silva Household!

Now, I usually don't post about a recipe until I have tried the finished product, but I am so confident that is fool-proof recipe will be fabulous I decided to go ahead and share it!


This recipe came from this months issue of Eating Well magazine (which is ALWAYS on sale for $4.99/ 1 year subscription on discount magazine websites. I highly suggest getting it, we are also using a recipe from this months issue for dinner tomorrow!)

The original recipe calls for raspberries, but I already has strawberries in the freezer so decided to use those. I believe any fruit that you think will taste good with chocolate would work. Or, skip the chocolate and have the center be vanilla. Mmmm I may try peaches next time and have a vanilla center!! ;)

Ingredients:
4 cups Vanilla low-fat frozen yogurt (SOFTENED)
2 Tbsp coco powder (skip this if you prefer a vanilla center)
1 1/3 cup strawberries (or whichever fruit you desire)

Directions:
-Mash up strawberries until they are in small pieces, or however small you want them.
-Add in 2 cups softened frozen yogurt and mix well.
-In a separate bowl combine coco powder and remaining 2 softened cups frozen yogurt
-line a loaf pan with plastic wrap and spoon in half of strawberry mixture
-add the chocolate mixture
-top off with the rest of the strawberry mixture
-place in freezer to harden for at least 3 hours.
- once hardened invert onto a platter and slice. (Recommended to slice into 8 pieces)

As I said, I haven't tasted the finished product yet, but I did sneak a taste of each mixture and they were both super yummy, so I have high hopes! :)

Since this is made with fat-free frozen yogurt it is a pretty healthy dessert or snack at only 96 calories per serving (based on 8 servings per recipe)

It's cheap too!
Since I already had the strawberries and coco powder it only cost me $3.00 for the frozen yogurt! That's only $.43 per serving if you serve 8 slices!!! (And cheaper if you end up cutting smaller slices!)

No comments:

Post a Comment