Sunday, April 7, 2013

Chocolate Jam Tea Cake

You may have noticed that my interest in making jam and canning/preserving it sort of came on rather quick.
You would be absolutely correct!
I became I the rested in jam making/preserving after reading this blog post and recipe on my new favorite blog!

It is a recipe for a simple chocolate cake made with homemade jam.
The blog post talks about preserving jam in the summer for the winter and it all sounded fabulous and I decided that I wanted to learn how to do it. (Especially if I could make a yummy cake out of it, right?!?!)

So as you know from my blog post yesterday I successfully made and canned my own mango jam!

Even though I only ended up with 2 jars of plain mango jam, I couldn't resist using one of them to make this cake, since after all, the jam wouldn't have existed if I had never seen the recipe!

This cake is super simple and delicious. Disclaimer: it isn't super sweet since it is a tea cake, but it is just sweet enough to satisfy.

INGREDIENTS
1 1/2 cup self-rising flour (I used whole wheat)
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup granulated sugar (I used stevia)
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla or chocolate extract
1 cup prepared jam (I used my mango jam)
3/4 cup whole milk (I used 1/2 regular almond milk and 1/2 chocolate almond milk)

DIRECTIONS

Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a loaf pan and line with parchment paper.
Sift together flour and cocoa, and set aside.
In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
Beat in eggs one at a time, then stir in jam and milk.
Stir flour into wet mixture until just combined.
Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 55-65 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Let cool 10-15 minutes before serving. Store in an airtight container.

NOTE
If you don’t have self-rising flour, simply swap in 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, 2 teaspoons baking powder, and 1/2 teaspoon salt.
(I wasn't sure if my flour was self rising or not, so I added this in just in case!)


No comments:

Post a Comment