Saturday, January 26, 2013

Hello Homemade.

By now I am sure you are well aware that Jonathan and I got a new blender yesterday.
I was a bit apprehensive about it because of the outrageous cost, but I am in love!
But our old blender was beginning to leave our daily green smoothies a little leafy. YUCK! So it was definitely time for a new blender!

Yesterday we made some fresh carrot juice with 3 carrots, some fresh ginger, and lemon juice. That's it. This blender turned those ingredients into whole juice! It was amazing. There was VERY LITTLE pulp that could be strained out, but we left it in for the fiber!
We also made some peach sorbet last night that was also super easy, and super good.
I am LOVING making so many things at home instead of buying them!

Now for the main reason for this post Homemade Tomato Sauce!
The Blendtec blender came with a cookbook that is really good.
As I was looking through it last night I saw a recipe for tomato sauce that I decided I just had to try! We are making stuffed peppers this week and it calls for can tomato sauce, so I decided to make it instead!

While I was at the farmers market this morning I picked up the tomatoes and onions I needed for the sauce.
It was super easy to make and it made our apartment smell fabulous! (Taste yummy too)

Ingredients:
2 lbs tomatoes (quartered)
1 medium onion roughly chopped
8 cloves garlic
2 Tbsp Oregano
1 tsp salt
3 Tbsp olive oil

Toss all ingredients in a 9x13 baking dish and roast at 375 for 1 hour
Let cool slightly
Place all roasted ingredients in blender and blend until you are satisfied with consistency. Or if you have a Blendtec hit the "sauce" button.

It isn't as dark or red as the sauce you buy in the store but it taste so yummy and the best part it....NO PRESERVATIVES! ;)

I made 2 batches but only had 2 jars, so the rest is in a Tupperware. :)

Getting the expensive blender may have been Jonathan's idea, but I think I may be more in love with it! I am super excited about being able to make all these homemade things and whole juices!

Up next on my list of homemade things to try in the blender is: almond milk, butter, and almond butter! ;)



No comments:

Post a Comment